Monday, January 17, 2011

A Man Who Had the Courage to Change the World

The older I get, the deeper my respect grows for Martin Luther King Jr...a man who had the courage to change the world.  The hatred and divisiveness in the country was beyond anything I can imagine, but he stood up for what he knew to be true...that we are all children of God.  And despite the resistance he faced, he persevered and succeeded.  He changed the world.


One of the most powerful things he said was, "History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

I love that my kids are growing up in a world where the color of one's skin is irrelevant.  We have immediate family members and close friends of various races and my kids only see them as people they love.

Thank you Mr. King for having the courage to resist the hatred against your message of peace and acceptance...(I have a hard enough time trying to establish "sibling peace" in my own home let alone taking on the contention in the world!) 

Our country has a long ways to go, but I think we are closer than ever to the reality he hoped for which is that, "One day we will live in a nation where we will not be judged by the color of our skin, but by the content of our character."

2 comments:

  1. Alecia, you said it beautifully and a good reminder
    to remember his words, and hopefully our good character will prevail.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...