Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Traditions

Spring is by far my favorite season.  I love the freshness and happy feeling in the air.  I am always blown away that the cycle of life continues despite the bitterness and longevity of winter.

This year I have committed myself to make Easter more meaningful for my kids.  Easter is such an incredible celebration of life and the miracle that was performed on that sacred morning.  It is shocking to me how commercialized it has become.  My kids have a "Clifford" book about Easter and I guess that I should not be surprised that the book only focuses on dying eggs and egg hunts and "how friends are what make Easter special."  Really Clifford?  That is what makes Easter special?

I want my kids to gain a deeper appreciation for this week and I am determined to use more than my "Clifford" book to help them.  We have been talking all week about the Savior and the purpose of His life, but I want to explore new ways to make it more meaningful.

Romney and I were talking last night and I think one thing we will try this year is do all the Easter Bunny stuff, egg dying, egg hunting, egg baskets and candy eating on Saturday and then save Sunday morning for the more significant discussion on the significance of the empty tomb. I am thinking possibly an egg hunt with eggs filled with items that represent Easter (silver coins, red fabric, soap, white cloth, a rock, a mini crown of thorns, an empty egg, etc.)

A friend recommended this idea for homemade "Empty Tomb Rolls" to be made on Easter morning.  I have never tried them, but have heard that they are very easy to make and are delicious.

***

Empty Tomb Easter Rolls 
As recommended, be sure to let your kids help prepare and tuck the marshmallow into the dough.  This is a sweet and simple way to teach your kids about the empty tomb because as the roll bakes, the marshmallow will disappear and an "empty tomb" is left.




Easter Morning Breakfast Rolls (Recipe from The Sisters Cafe)
1 package frozen bread or roll dough, thawed (or homemade roll dough)
6 TB sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 bag large marshmallows

1/4 cup butter, melted

 
Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. Divide the dough into individual roll sized portions. Press each portion into a flat circle. Place 1 large marshmallow in the center of each roll. Pinch roll dough very firmly around the marshmallow. Roll each into a seamless, or nearly seamless, ball with your hands. Brush rolls with melted butter. Sprinkle sugar mixture over rolls. Cover rolls with plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight. On Sunday morning, preheat oven to 350°. Take rolls out of fridge and bake for 15 minutes until rolls are golden brown. Be careful not to overbake. (These may also be baked without sitting overnight. After wrapping the marshmallow in them, let them rise for about an hour or so and then bake them as usual.)

***


I think we will give this a try this Sunday morning.  I would love to incorporate some new Easter traditions to help my kids better understand the importance of this week, so, if you have any ideas, please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...