Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentines..Not Just for Lovers

I have a great visiting teacher.  She comes.  Every month.

Yesterday she stopped by and as we talked, she asked me if I have ever had any positive experiences with a visiting teacher.  I told her about an amazing woman named Cindy who several years ago, changed my whole attitude about the monthly visits.  She came every month.  She was sincere.  She cared about me.  She became my dear friend.  I knew that I could call her anytime and sometimes I did.  I had never experienced that before Cindy.  We moved away from that ward 2 1/2 years ago and she still sends me text messages telling me that she is thinking of me.

I also asked Linda the same question, if she had ever had a really positive experience with a visiting teacher.  She said that several years before she moved to Denver, she spent some time in Wyoming.  She said it was a very difficult move.  She was there for work and did not know anyone.  She has never married.  She was alone and she felt it.

Her visiting teacher however, recognized Linda as more than assignment and on Valentine's Day, she plastered Linda's front door with hearts.  As Linda told me this story, tears streamed down her face.  She said, "You have no idea how much that meant to me."

How simple was that effort?  And yet, how huge was the impact?

I can't help but ask myself, Am I that person to anyone outside of my family?  Several years ago, a girl made a comment in church that I have never forgotten:

"Never Reject An Impulse To Do Something Good."

It is almost Valentine's Day, how about we all go spread some love.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...