Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hands Tied

My sister Marisa is having a miscarriage today.  She is heartbroken.  You would think that because we basically live in the same state that we "live close enough" to help each other in desperate times, but truth be told, we don't.  Without traffic, the drive is 1 1/2 hours and with traffic, it can sometimes take up to 3 hours each way to drive to Colorado Springs.

But as I got the news that this was happening, everything was perfectly lined up with carpools etc, so that I could easily make the drive to be there for her and to help with her 13-month old baby.  However, as I was preparing myself to leave, I realized that I have another major obstacle preventing me from being there to help...Lauren is home from school today because she was diagnosed with strep throat last night.  She has not been on antibiotics for 24-hours.  (I am sure that bringing strep throat to her house is the last thing she would want.)

Hands tied is a helpless feeling and I hate it. 

The only comfort is to hear how so many of her friends and ward members are "acting on their impulse to do something good" and they are showering her with meals and reminders that she is loved.

This is my third sister / in-law in the past month to experience this loss.  I have had to sit on the sidelines for them all.  It sucks.

It has been a humbling reminder of my own need to step up my efforts when someone around me is in need.  I hope to more readily recognize the importance of being willing to "mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort" (Mosiah 18:9).

I am driving down tomorrow.  We promised each other that we would find something to laugh about.  I think we both need it.

4 comments:

  1. Tomorrow will be here soon. You're a good sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alecia, my heart aches for Marisa. She's lucky to have you. Tomorrow is going to mean so much to her. Hope she'll be ok. This is a time when people don't really know what to say or do, but just knowing you are there for her is the best thing ever. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt that you're there when people need you. You were ALWAYS a great friend to me when I didn't have family around. So sorry to hear about your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Alecia. I know how close you are and how difficult it must be for you to not be there for her. I'm glad that you got to see her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...